I suggest you ...

disable "Power" and "Sleep" keyboard buttons

My keyboard has Power, Sleep, and Wake Up buttons for the system, and the whole idea of this app is to keep toddlers from being able to do dangerous things like that, can these please be disabled?

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    shanselmanAdminshanselman (Admin, babysmash) responded  · 

Surprisingly, this is not possible with those exact three buttons. Vista will not allow anyone to prevent the system shutting down. I’ve had to cover these buttons.

UPDATE: I’ve looked into this, and it turns out that you can go into Windows “PowerOptions” and change the option for “When The Power Button is Pressed – Do This” to “Do Nothing.” Maybe if I told the Parent that as the app starts up?

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan JohnstoneNathan Johnstone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you can disable them via the registry as well by remapping them in the keyscan hive.. i'll dig out the exact details and post them here for you to look into.. as for shutting down the system when its frozen, its called pulling the plug... :-P

• murraymurray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a program called Toddler Keys by david.schaeffer@gmail.com that allows the power button to be disabled, but only in XP. It's not otherwise as cool as BabySmash though, you can't have it all !! but it would be great if BabySmash could do it.
        Also the power off action (when the power button is held for four seconds) cannot be disabled, or the alt-ctrl-del sequence :)

• rossnzrossnz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same problem and was able to disable my power button in Vista's power settings. (Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do). Now when I'm plugged in the power button does nothing. Would be cool to be able to disable them within the program though.

• leelee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, you do need a way to shut off a system when something really nasty happens and the system becomes effectively frozen. But we all know that never happens....

Feedback and Knowledge Base