I suggest you ...

Play notes from songs on keypress

Rather than random sounds or speech on keypresses, how about an option to play notes from songs? For example, each press would play a note from the melody of a (presumably public domain) song, possibly from a midi file. I've seen a hand-puppet that barks out notes from "old macdonald" and "it's a small world" every time you squeeze its mouth shut. In other words, the user doesn't control the notes, just the tempo. I believe the upcoming game Wii Music also takes a similar approach.

83 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LockeCJLockeCJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    shanselmanAdminshanselman (Admin, babysmash) responded  · 

I love this idea. My son has a guitar that does the same thing. I’ll give it some thought. Feel free to email me midi files of public songs.

At what point would we CHANGE songs?

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LockeCJLockeCJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A quick search didn't really yield any viable results. www.pdmusic.org seems to be a possibility, but it doesn't really seem to have many songs that would be well suited for children. Similarly, Project Gutenberg only seems to have classical music, and only in sheet music form, although that in itself might not be a bad thing. Finally, www.archive.org didn't yield any significant results.

• LockeCJLockeCJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the puppet, it just changes as soon as it runs out of notes from the current song. It might be better to have something in-between each song, like some applause or something similar, that creates a clear distinction. That way we don't end up raising children that think "BINGO" and "Row Row Row your boat" are parts of the same song.

Feedback and Knowledge Base